Treatment Foster Care Fact Sheet
What is Treatment Foster Care (TFC):
- The difference between TFC and traditional Foster Care is the inclusion of treatment services within the home.
- TFC is meant for foster children who need extra support to avoid placement in a higher level of care.
- Treatment in the home starts with being aware of routine, structure, communication, attention to attachment issues, and trainings specific to the needs of each child.
- TFC is a team approach in addressing typical development as well as addressing deficits and needs in education, social skills, mental health, and overall well-being.
- TFC is most effective with a partnership in parenting (working relationships between natural supports, birth, and foster families) to enhance clinical and permanency outcomes for children and youth in foster care.
- Supports provided by Child & Family include a multidisciplinary team, in home clinical and case management support, 24-hour on call, advocacy, and training.
What makes Child & Family unique in its delivery of service:
- A 30-year history of providing Foster care services throughout Rhode Island.
- A proven track record of supporting older teens in care as well as parenting teens.
- We encourage inclusion and have a diverse community of foster families.
- Spanish speaking case managers are available to provide support in foster parent’s primary language and within a cultural context that best supports the unique needs of blended families.
- The mission of our TFC program is to work with biological families and foster parents to establish permanency both in terms of reunification, adoption, and guardianship and to foster strong family relationships.
- Clinicians are available to assist with transition and stabilization at time of placement and/or when a need presents itself throughout placement.
- Respite care, or short-term relief for foster parents, is available to provide necessary self-care.
- Foster Parent-Mentorships are available so you can learn from experienced, seasoned Foster parents.
- We can assist with transportation needs when necessary.
Most importantly, we walk prospective foster parents through every step to complete their licensing.
We will be there for you, and your foster child, every step of the way.
Please consider opening up your home and heart for these at-risk youth.
All Child & Family TFC Families are licensed by the state of Rhode Island.